Postage scale is a small but very useful device that is used for measuring weight of mail, envelopes and small packages. Experts say that it is possible to reduce postal expenses by almost 20% when taking close control over the weight of your correspondence.
As any other types of modern machinery, postage scales can be of different types and sizes. There are entry level models for home and occasional use as well as sophisticated devices specially designed to be used in large offices and deal with loads of mail and packages.
In the following text I will be talking about scales designed for home or small office use only.
Mechanical postage scale was the only type used in the past but currently digital postage scale becomes more popular. Mechanical scale use wire spring to measure weight. They are cheap but have low accuracy.
Digital postage scale is build around sensor that generates electricity when being compressed with weight. These electric signals are processed and calculated with special microchip and the results of weighing are displayed on screen in digits.
The benefits of using the digital postage scale instead of mechanical are following:
- Higher accuracy. Depending on the model, digital scales can be from 10 to 100 times more precise than mechanical
- Most of the digital postage scale models can automatically convert units. This mean that you can weight objects in ounces or grams, pounds or kilograms at the sane time.
- It is much easier to read digital postage scales because they present results in numbers. No need to mess with gauges and pointers like it was with mechanical scales.
- Digital scales can be programmed with bonus features like the ability of weighting food without weighing the cup holding this food.
The most advanced digital postage scale models can be used in many other ways other than weighting mail envelopes. For example: they can calculate calories of the food weighted or download latest postal rates from Internet.
There are dozens of different postal scales are currently available on the market. It is important to pick the right model that will fit your needs. There are some key elements of scales you have to pay attention to. Let me talk on each of them briefly.
- Weighing capacity is one of the major characteristics of any scales. Every postage scale model has maximum allowed weight to be measured with the device. You have to thing well before making a decision about the capacity. Measuring objects beyond the limited weight normally leads to destroying the sensor and braking scales.
- Postage scale has to be easy to use. Try picking the model that has intuitive interface and big control buttons.
- Many of postage scale models have advanced features. Some have digital output and can be connected to a computer. Others have sophisticated accounting functions and able to do many calculations. There is even a password protected postage scales exist. They can’t be used by unauthorized people.
Be sure to read the product manual and look through the reviews before purchasing scales. I hope my website will help you with some handy postage scale reviews.