A smart thermostat connects to your home Wi-Fi allowing you to check and alter the temperature settings remotely through an app on your phone. These devices are now very popular as you’ll easily find them in most homesteads.
The main reasons why people decide to upgrade to Wi-Fi thermostats are:
- The smart thermostats are great energy savers. A thermostat could help you save up to 12% on heating bills and 15% on cooling bills. In a year that could total up to approximately 150 USD
- The thermostat can detect when you’re home and away and adjusts to your changes to match your routine
- They are also very easy to program – from anywhere. All you need to do is get the app on your phone and then enter the temperature and time settings and you’re good to go.
When schedules change you won’t need to reprogram it
- The Wi-Fi thermostat will help you keep tabs on your HVAC system when you’re out of town. This ensures that a breakdown doesn’t happen when you’re away
- Lastly, they’re so cool. They can change their color to match your walls, play your favorite music, or display your family’s digital photos
Things To Consider Before Choosing Your Best Wireless Thermostat
There are so many different types of smart thermostats that you could choose from. If you’re considering getting a Wi-Fi thermostat, here’s what you need to put in consideration so that you can choose the right one:
- The C (common) -Wire requirement
Many Wi-Fi thermostats need a lot more power than a set of batteries can provide. Instead, they rely on low-voltage power from the HVAC system. That’s why they need the c-wire.
- Ease of installation
Following the step-by-step instructions given by the manufacturer, you should find it very easy to install a thermostat even if you aren’t very handy. The photographs and illustrations should also make things a lot easier for you.
This makes it possible for you to set up a perimeter around your home beyond which it’s assumed that you don’t need to heat or cool your home anymore. This ensures that the thermostat is not running unnecessarily.
- Remote access
This allows you to check and change the thermostat’s temperature settings from afar as long as you’re connected to the internet.
The motion sensors serve a similar function to the geo-fencing feature. They sense whether or not the home is occupied and, therefore, needs climate control. The sensors on the thermostat can cause the display to turn on when someone walks past it – this comes in handy especially at night as it lights up the way for you.
- Smart home integration
Find a thermostat that you can easily integrate with other smart-home devices and broader smart-home systems.
- System complexity
If you would like to heat or cool different parts of your home independently, you’ll need a different thermostat for each of these zones. However, it’s possible to control all these thermostats using a single app.
- User interface
Get a thermostat that displays vital information at a glance and adapts easily to your specific needs.
Top 10 Best Wi-Fi Thermostat Reviews
Wi-Fi thermostats do more than automate a fixed heating and cooling climate-control schedule. They enable you to adjust your thermostat from your smartphone wherever you are as long as your phone is connected to a Wi-Fi network. Many newer models also work with Alexa, Siri, and Google Assistant giving you yet another way to adjust your thermostat. Others boast of innovative designs such as responsive touch screens.
If you are in search of the best Wi-Fi thermostat, we have put together a list of our favorites that we have already tested. We’ll highlight what makes each model special to help you pick the best.
1. Google, T3007ES, Nest Learning Thermostat
The Google Nest Learning Thermostat is the best pick for users who don’t want to keep worrying about their thermostats. It’ll connect to your phone, learns what temperatures you like, and turn itself down when nobody is home.
This stainless steel smart thermostat can work with Alexa for voice control. It learns to how quickly or how slowly your home warms up and factors in the weather condition to set the right temperature for you.
The thermostat allows the user to select an energy-saving option in terms of temperature regulation. When there’s no one home, the thermostat self-adjusts from the “home” to “away” mode. When somebody walks past it, the sensor detects this movement and causes the display to light up beautifully showing the time and temperature.
- Has a big sharp display
- It helps you save energy in your home
- It programs itself after learning what temperatures you like
- Can be operated remotely from your phone, laptop, or tablet
- The Alexa device for voice control has to be purchased separately
- It counts on other Nest products to determine whether you’re home or away
2. Emerson Sensi Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat
If you’re looking to save up to 23% of your energy costs, then this is your go-to thermostat. It’ll help you save energy without compromising on your comfort. To install, you don’t need to have any prior experience. It takes most people less than 30 minutes to get done. Installation instructions are available in the manual or on the mobile app. This removes all the guesswork and frustration from the process. In most cases, you won’t need a c-wire for the installation process.
The Emerson Sensi Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat features extensive compatibility as it can work with HVAC equipment found in most homes. It also has features like geo-fencing and works with smart home automation platforms like Alexa, Google Assistant, Samsung Smart-Things, and Apple Home-kit
The thermostat monitors your home’s day-to-day heating and cooling activities and keeps a record.
- Very easy to install as a DIY project
- Works well with the existing wires in your home.
- Issues usage reports upon request by the user
- You can control it remotely either from across the room or across the country at any time.
- It can detect extreme temperatures and humidity levels in your home.
- Its touch design makes it look almost like a traditional thermostat
- Doesn’t work with electric baseboard heat and some other systems
- The mobile app requires iOS 10.0 or above and Android version 4.2 or above.
3. Honeywell Home RTH9585WF1004 Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat
This Honeywell Home thermostat is a second-generation Wi-Fi Smart Color thermostat that is amazingly suited for the connected home. What we love about it is that just like the Nest and Emerson thermostats above, it can detect when a person walks in and automatically adjust the temperature
You can change the thermostat’s screen background to match the colors of your walls. You can also customize the screen however way you like so that it’s easier for you to read numbers and texts
- You can use a phone to control the thermostat remotely
- Has a customizable color touch screen
- It’s compatible with Alexa, Google Home, and Smart-Things
- The thermostat shows the current status of internet connection
- Gives a warning in extreme temperatures
- Allows you to view intelligent alerts like the weather forecast
- Auto-updates from heat to cool after determining if the room’s needs
- It’s very sophisticated with fancy features that cause it to be quite costly
- Also doesn’t work with heat pumps that work with electric baseboard heat
4. Ecobee4 Smart Thermostat with Built-In Alexa
This Ecobee Smart Thermostat with voice control is one of the best thermostats available in the market today. Its built-in voice service listens to your voice commands and responds. You can request it to change the temperature, play music, read you the news, and so much more.
Just like the other smart thermostats that we have talked about, this too is very well executed. This model allows you to place sensors in different rooms in your home do that the thermostat monitors the temperatures in these rooms and not just in the hallway where it’s installed. This makes sure that the temperature is well-balanced throughout the house. The remote sensor allows you to adjust the temperature settings in just one room as opposed to the whole house.
- Very easy to install without any professional assistance
- Saves energy and ultimately, saves you money
- It has a highly attractive design
- Has a high-resolution screen that improves its overall performance.
- Detects movement in a room and automatically adjusts the temperature
- Different sensors for the most important rooms in the house.
- You can control it from anywhere and at any time
- The Ecobee app is available for free on Google Play as well as in the App Store.
5. SunTouch Command Touchscreen Programmable Thermostat
This thermostat is so easy to install and can be used as a direct replacement for all older SunTouch models or any other floor heating thermostat that uses a 10k sensor wire. It comes with a 10k long sensor wire and up to 3 mats or cables to be connected to the thermostat (only if the total amperage doesn’t exceed 15A)
- Very easy to set up thanks to the comprehensive programming setup wizard
- Wiring is very simple and the convections on the back are clearly labeled
- Allows up to 7 days intuitive scheduling
- Has built-in GFCI for safety purposes
- Can be used with both the 120v or 240v systems
- Senses the temperature in the surrounding air as well as floors.
- The display shows the hours of system operation for monitoring
- It isn’t exactly affordable
6. Google, T4000ES, Nest Thermostat E
The Google Nest Thermostat E has a very simple design. It has a new frosted display that fits into any home and blends with the background. The energy-saving feature makes it possible for the thermostat to turn itself down when you’re not home.
This smart thermostat has the ability to learn your home’s habits over time in terms of heating and cooling then controls the temperature in different rooms of the house. It also allows you to change the temperature from wherever you are and at any time of the day using the app on your phone as long as you’re connected to the internet.
- Remote control feature
- Just like Ecobee, this thermostat too has different sensors for every room
- Energy-saving features like the “home” and “away” mode
- Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Home, and other voice control systems.
- Gives energy usage reports to help you see how much energy you use and why
- It’s not nearly as pretty as other smart thermostat models. Its housing is made of plastic
- Has a lower-resolution screen
7. Honeywell TH9320WF5003 Wi-Fi Touch Screen Programmable Thermostat
This is one of those “how did I manage without this thermostat” type of purchases. We highly recommend it as it lets you check and change the settings when you are away from home.
- The thermostat is so easy to install
- Easy to program
- Easy to integrate with other smart home automation platforms
- Allows the user to customize the skin on the monitor
- Has a scheduling feature that learns your habits adapts to your schedule
- This device comes with remote sensors
- Ability to detect humidity, proximity, and temperature changes
- The thermostat has a 5-year limited warranty
8. GLAS Smart Thermostat by Johnson Controls
This thermostat by Johnson Controls is the perfect blend of form and function. It has a vibrant translucent OLED 5.9-inch touch screen display that allows you to see through it when it’s not active.
The remote control feature allows you to change the temperature settings from anywhere you are wherever you wish. Mobile apps enable free connectivity as long as you have an active Wi-Fi network.
- Beautiful user interface
- It can be operated remotely
- You can control multiple thermostats on a single app
- Monitors the quality of indoor air quality including the humidity and CO2 levels
- It reports on the presence of antigens
- GLAS works well with Alexa and Google Assistant for easy voice control
- It doesn’t have all the sophisticated controls like other thermostats on our list
- Doesn’t adjust its setting based on your presence or absence
9. Bosch Thermotechnology BCC50 Wi-Fi Thermostat
The Bosch Thermo-technology Thermostat allows you to easily control the temperature inside your home using 5 back-lit touch buttons or from your phone using the app. This thermostat has a sleek design and works well with Alexa and Google Assistant
- It can be remotely controlled on-the-go
- This thermostat is compatible with a majority of 24v AC heating and cooling equipment
- Help you save energy in your home, especially when you’re away
- The mobile app can connect to multiple thermostats for easy monitoring and control
- Brilliantly illuminated touch buttons
- The display shows important details like the temperature
- Physical installation can be a little challenging
10. Nest (T3007ES) Learning Thermostat 3rd Gen
The most beautiful part about this thermostat is that it has a sharp display and programs itself to save energy.
- It’s controllable from anywhere and at any time
- The mobile app is easily available, freely
- Over time, it builds a schedule around yours
- It shows you how much energy you use daily and monthly.
- It may not be able to control some of the more complicated HVAC systems.
How To Install A Smart Thermostat
Professional thermostat installation costs no less than $50. However, if you want to save that money and do the installation all by yourself, here’s how to go about it:
- Before you buy a new thermostat, make sure that it’s compatible with your system. You can check online to see if it’ll work with your wiring.
- Shut down your power system at the breaker panel to make sure that no power gets to the old thermostat that you want to replace.
- Remove the faceplate and keenly observe how the wires are connected to their terminals.
- Remove the backplate from the wall after removing all the wires that are connected to it.
- Next, add the c-wire if your system doesn’t already have one. This is what provides power to the Wi-Fi thermostat.
- Screw the new thermostat’s backplate onto the wall. Make sure that you pull the wires through before the backplate is securely attached.
- Reconnect the wires to their corresponding terminals. Make sure that this is done very carefully.
- Install the new thermostat’s faceplate.
- Turn on the power to the thermostat and allow the device to boot up
- Connect the thermostat to the Wi-Fi, configure it, and link it to the app on your phone. Once you’ve gone through all the prompts, it should now be ready to use
Note: If you experience any kind of problem at any point during the process, consult with a technician. Trying to fix the problem could cost you a lot more than you wanted to save in the first place.
How We Test Wi-Fi Thermostats
Testing a thermostat begins with the installation to be sure that the set-up process was done correctly. This is to ensure that the newly installed thermostat controls the system as it should. When the system responds to the test correctly, that means that the set-up was successful and you’ll be confident that the system is in good shape
If you’re experiencing any problems with your thermostat, here are some basic things to check:
- Check the Wi-Fi signal. If the signal isn’t strong enough or keeps fluctuating, then it is not adequate for the smooth running of the thermostat.
- Check if the wiring was done correctly and if there are any blown fuses. First, make sure that the power is off then open up the thermostat to make sure that the wires are not touching each other.
If the problem persists, consult with a professional to help you with the troubleshooting process to diagnose the underlying issue/s.
Why You Should Trust Us
We pride ourselves in expert and trustworthy services that are gotten from years of home improvement experience. We’re specialists in the installation and repair of different types of thermostats.
Our top priority has always been health and safety for both our customers and employees. We follow the set public guidelines that guarantee our customers’ and employees’ wellbeing. Our employees are provided with guidance to assist in keeping themselves and our customers safe.
We are trusted by thousands of homeowners across the globe as we also give resourceful advice on DIY home repairs and improvements. We make it clear to our customers that we are committed to serving them and making their experience as lovely as possible. Even after we do the installation, our highly-skilled staff follows up the situation to make sure that everything is running as smoothly as it should be.
All our efforts are geared towards our customer’s comfort and happiness. Trust us and you’ll have total control over temperature, humidity, air treatment, and timing in your home – all year long.
Q. #1: What is included in the packaging?
Answer: The items that come in the packaging are the faceplate and backplate, a metal mounting plate, a set of screws and a plastic insert, a wiring sticker, an activation code, and a multi-lingual user manual.
Q. #2: How much energy can I save with the Wi-Fi thermostat?
Answer: The amount of energy that’s used depends on building type as well as the current weather conditions. The Wi-Fi thermostat offers the user a variety of energy-saving options which include:
- Green Leaf. This indicator appears red when the operation is not optimized. Touch the indicator to resume energy-optimized operation.
- Scheduler. This allows the user to select one of the different scheduler set-points: comfort and economy to make sure that the thermostat keeps running efficiently.
Q. #3: Can I install the thermostat by myself?
Answer: If you have everything that’s needed for the DIY project and some technical know-how, then you’re good to go. Otherwise, it’s best if you consult a certified professional.
Q. #4: Will the thermostat continue working if I lose my Wi-Fi connection?
Answer: Yes. The thermostat continues to control your home’s heating and cooling system even after you have lost your Wi-Fi connection. You can still adjust the temperature settings even when the connection is down.
Only a few features like geofencing are entirely dependent on the availability of an internet connection to work.
Q. #5: Can the thermostat determine whether I’m home or away?
Answer: Smart thermostats can recognize when the homeowner enters the room and switch from “Away” to “Home” mode. In this mode, the thermostat’s display turns on and shows the temperature.
The sensors do not detect small animals.
Q. #6: What is the C-Wire?
Answer: This is the “common wire” that supplies the thermostat with 24V of electricity. Even though there is no standard color for it, the thermostat c-wire is often blue or black.
Q. #7: Are smart thermostats really worth the money?
Answer: Absolutely! Wi-Fi thermostats help you save money and they can pay for themselves in as little as one heating and cooling season. It all depends on your climate and energy usage habits.
Wi-Fi thermostats have been around for quite a while now and the good news is that they keep getting better and better. Some of the newest models in the market use complex algorithms to understand your household’s heating and cooling needs so that they can automatically re-adjust themselves to meet these needs. Also, there are apps through which you can change the settings of the thermostat remotely.
Having tried and tested several smart thermostats, we can confidently say that our best overall is the Ecobee Smart Thermostat with built-in Alexa and room sensor. Although quite pricey, it has the performance and features to back it up.
But then again, all the type of thermostat you get depends on your needs and preferences.